Author Topic: Netflixvania Nocturne is coming in two months. How bad will it be?  (Read 375 times)

wygolvillage

• Shanoa
  • Fledgling
  • SHALAURA YURI FOREVER!!!!!!!!
    • Wygol Village
Well, with the reveal that Nocturne is coming out September 28th, I have begun bracing for impact... So I thought I'd make a dedicated thread for reactions, predictions, general pettiness, etc.

Richter's possession will definitely be covered by the show, if I had to guess, since sexyman Alucard brings in the viewers :/ But it's already sort of robbed of its narrative weight considering they skipped all the intergenerational buildup to go straight to Richter (probably because Alucard is in SOTN...) and... whatever it was they did with Dracula in season 4, lol.

I won't be financially supporting the show via official streaming, due to the allegations that have come out about the work culture and sexual harrassment within Powerhouse, but I may watch it via more dubious methods just to see how badly they do it. Even with Warren Ellis gone I have very very little hope. They're all shitheads.

Alucard

• Scholar of the Occult
  • Administrator
  • Fledgling
  • #1 SotN Yaoi Truther
    • Personal Site
Re: Netflixvania Nocturne is coming in two months. How bad will it be?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 01:05:25 PM »
Honestly, I don't plan on watching it at all. I never finished the first show, so I don't see any reason to watch this one.

There's a part of me that still hopes that there's a chance for Nocturne to be alright, that the writer(s) who replaced Ellis actually give a shit about Castlevania, and we'll finally get a good-faith adaptation that does its best with the absolute dumpster fire that it was given to build off of. I'm definitely not counting on it, though.

Guess I'll have to wait until the trailer drops tomorrow to see just how many of my worst fears have been confirmed.
On the internet, nobody knows that you're a wizard!

Alucard

• Scholar of the Occult
  • Administrator
  • Fledgling
  • #1 SotN Yaoi Truther
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 09:32:12 AM »
Now that the trailer and plot synopsis are out, I've been thinking about Nocturne and discussing it with some people, and the one word that I keep finding myself using to describe it is fanfiction.

Because really, it's not an adaptation anymore. The characters all have names from Castlevania and the premise is the same, sure, but other than that, they're completely different. Everyone's personalities and backstories are changed, the location is completely different, hell, it looks like Dracula, the main villain of the entire series, may not even show up. Castlevania: Nocturne is just someone's canon-divergent AU that's spun wildly out of control, and I'd personally go as far as to say that it's been like that since season 3 of the original show.

If this isn't the final entry in the Netflixvania series, I can't possibly imagine what the rest of the story will end up looking like further down the line.
On the internet, nobody knows that you're a wizard!

wygolvillage

• Shanoa
  • Fledgling
  • SHALAURA YURI FOREVER!!!!!!!!
    • Wygol Village
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 03:20:59 PM »
I agree with this. It's scared to BE Castlevania, because Castlevania is too earnest/campy/lame/whatever... We have to be gritty and dark!!1!1!1

Thus it becomes an adaptational Ship of Theseus.