Author Topic: Project Idea: New Castlevania Wiki?  (Read 254 times)

Alucard

• Scholar of the Occult
  • Administrator
  • Fledgling
  • #1 SotN Yaoi Truther
    • Personal Site
Project Idea: New Castlevania Wiki?
« on: August 14, 2023, 11:44:18 AM »
When I first started getting involved with the Tumblr Castlevania fandom back in 2021, I remember a lot of people dunking on the Castlevania wiki maintained by Fandom/Wikia for having a lot of inaccurate/misleading information, and the admins didn't really seem keen on fixing any of this, and would sometimes remove edits that would've corrected certain pages. Combined with Wikia's extreme commercialization of their site and apparent desire to monopolize all fan-made information hubs, I've been wondering if it's perhaps time for Castlevania fans to set out and make our own independent wiki.

I recently made a new subdomain where I downloaded MediaWiki, and I've been fiddling around with it to learn how it works and understand the software. I need a bit more time to fully figure everything out, but I think it could serve as a good starting point.

My one concern is getting people interested— The reason why a lot fan wikis' separation from Fandom/Wikia end up being successful is because the vast majority of administrators, moderators, and contributors agree to make the move together, but with most people involved in the Castlevania wiki being seemingly complacent, trying to get a project like this off the ground will be an uphill battle. Good, strong wikis are generally maintained by dozens, if not hundreds (and in the case of Wikipedia, thousands) of people contributing their knowledge. If an independent Castlevania wiki is going to be successful, we're going to have to manage to convince people that it's worth committing to and staying invested in in the long term.

I do think it's entirely possible to make something like this work. If, at first, while the group of people working on the wiki is still small, everyone focused on making pages for all of the games, then the major characters, and then started narrowing in on more and more niche topics, we could make a decently coherent wiki. It would take a lot of time and effort, but it's definitely doable.
On the internet, nobody knows that you're a wizard!

wygolvillage

• Shanoa
  • Fledgling
  • SHALAURA YURI FOREVER!!!!!!!!
    • Wygol Village
Re: Project Idea: New Castlevania Wiki?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 12:27:56 PM »
I'm certainly interested!! I would love for a new wiki to exist.

Alucard

• Scholar of the Occult
  • Administrator
  • Fledgling
  • #1 SotN Yaoi Truther
    • Personal Site
Re: Project Idea: New Castlevania Wiki?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 05:35:49 PM »
Small update on this: I thiiiiink I've configured most of everything to my liking. Right now I'm pretty sure that I just need to finish writing the Code of Conduct and make a quick guide to editing the wiki, then maybe mess around with the CSS a bit and everything should be good to go.
On the internet, nobody knows that you're a wizard!