Author Topic: Castlevania Leaks & Rumors Discussion  (Read 257 times)

Alucard

• Scholar of the Occult
  • Administrator
  • Fledgling
  • #1 SotN Yaoi Truther
    • Personal Site
Castlevania Leaks & Rumors Discussion
« on: July 12, 2023, 02:53:51 PM »
With Konami seemingly coming back full-force to the PC and console gaming industry, there have been a lot of rumors about potential projects circulating the web. Now that two of their three keystone franchises— Silent Hill and Metal Gear— have received major announcements, it seems that Castlevania may be due to get its time in the spotlight soon enough.

Already there have been several leaks: Konami is apparently working on something called "Project Zircon", which many have speculated may be a new Castlevania game, since zircon is an item that can be sold for money most notably in Symphony of the Night. Also, before E3 was cancelled, some gaming news reporters claimed that Konami had been planning to reveal a Metal Gear Solid 3 remake and a new Castlevania game. It also seems that Evil Empire, the developers behind the hit indie game Dead Cells, have been given the rights to make new games for two "really massive" video game IPs. Taking into consideration the Return to Castlevania DLC for Dead Cells, it seems that Castlevania might be one of them.

In terms of speculation about what this alleged new Castlevania game might play like, I have seen rumors that the gameplay would take inspiration from FromSoftware's games, specifically Bloodborne. People also believe that this game may be a PlayStation 5 exclusive.

As for my personal thoughts on these rumors, I'm most excited about and betting the most on Evil Empire making a new Castlevania game. I love Dead Cells, and Return to Castlevania was seriously fun. I absolutely trust them to take the helm on this franchise. And since they've already worked with the IP before, I think the rumors are well within the realm of possibility.

With Bloodborne-vania, I am..... much less enthused. It's not that I think the two series are incompatible or anything, I've seen plenty of people call Bloodborne "3D Castlevania", and hell, everyone and their dog has been adding "Soulslike combat" to their indie Metroidvanias ever since Hollow Knight became a massive hit. It's just that...... I dunno, the idea of Castlevania done in the style of a FromSoft game gives me the impression that Konami wants to take the series in a more "serious" direction. The Netflix show has already soured the concept of "dark and gritty Castlevania" in my mind, and I don't want that to be the future of the franchise. And it (potentially) being a PS5 exclusive...... Yeah, I think I'll pass.

But I dunno, those are just my thoughts. Maybe I'll end up eating my words and Bloodborne-vania will end up being a smash hit that brings the Castlevania games back into the spotlight after so many years. Or maybe all of these "leaks" are total bullshit, and the series is still dead in the water.

How do you guys feel about all of this?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 07:37:44 PM by Alucard »
On the internet, nobody knows that you're a wizard!

wygolvillage

• Shanoa
  • Fledgling
  • SHALAURA YURI FOREVER!!!!!!!!
    • Wygol Village
Re: Castlevania Leaks & Rumors Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 08:32:52 AM »
With Bloodborne-vania, I am..... much less enthused. It's not that I think the two series are incompatible or anything, I've seen plenty of people call Bloodborne "3D Castlevania", and hell, everyone and their dog has been adding "Soulslike combat" to their indie Metroidvanias ever since Hollow Knight became a massive hit. It's just that...... I dunno, the idea of Castlevania done in the style of a FromSoft game gives me the impression that Konami wants to take the series in a more "serious" direction. The Netflix show has already soured the concept of "dark and gritty Castlevania" in my mind, and I don't want that to be the future of the franchise. And it (potentially) being a PS5 exclusive...... Yeah, I think I'll pass.

HUGE HUGE HUGE AGREE. I think Castlevania always has to be a little bit silly to really "work", and even though people criticize the CV Metroidvanias for being "too easy" I think the forgiving difficulty, RPG elements, and the wide variety of weapons and equipment are what really got me to like the series. (I've never gotten too into Metroidvanias without level-up systems...) and a lot of people who want a Bloodborne-like CV game want it to be Hard As Balls since that's the appeal of Soulslikes... I don't know, I feel like it wouldn't gel correctly, or at least not in a way I would enjoy.

FWIW I think I've only seen "Soulslike Castlevania" as something people wish for rather than seriously speculate about happening (then again I do spend less time looking at CV discussion on sites other than Tumblr really so. shrug)